Thursday, May 19, 2011

2011 Pinewood Derby - Daryl's Car

It's time for me to post the Pinewood Derby Cars of Daryl and Daniel. Let me start with Daryl's car this time since he's not a Cub Scout yet and he requested this design for his car. Last year, I just used a pre-cut car for him but this year was a little bit tough because of the different cuts.

This is the wooden block and we're starting with Daryl's design.

He wanted his car to look like this and I'll you know why later.

The rear of the car has an outline of the boosters of the car.

I have shaded the area that needs to be cut.

The block has been cut and as you can see, the wood is still rough.

Here's a different look.

The block looks nicer after sanding.

Back view

Made a hole at the back of the car for the weights.

We used 1/2 ounces weights. I got these from Harbour Freight store. 

They fit nicely and will be adding wood putty to cover it up.

Daryl draw on the car and wanted a Mario logo.

Here's another look.

I had to add one more weight at the bottom because it's still light.

Added wood putty on the bottom to cover the weights.

Here's the top view with the wood putty.

Now for the boosters. We used a Dremel tool to shape this.

We replaced the wood putty because it's taking long to dry.

Here's the bottom part.

Here's what it looks like after painting and adding Daryl's accessories.

He said that this guy is Mario and this is his Kart. I had to cut some more wood on the front of the car because it was over the weigh limit when we measured it.

Added a white circle.

Painted a red 'M' to signify that this is Mario's Kart. Daryl calls it Standard Kart M.

Ready to Race.

Vrrooomm....

Here's Daryl's car at the table after registration.

Now that those pictures are done, I mentioned earlier that there's a reason why he wanted this design. If you click on this link, you'll probably guess the reason.

Thanks for reading. I'll be posting Daniel's Pinewood Derby car in a bit. 

No comments: